Recipe by JanuaryBride
I took a recipe for Swedish Maple Cookies and put a spin on it to create this wonderful sweet topping for grilled salmon; when we were in Sweden, salmon was on every menu, whether it was cured, smoked, baked, poached, or grilled. Being someone who "tolerates" salmon in a house full of those who adore it, I find that I prefer my salmon sweet rather than savory. Recipe developed for ZWT6 Team SSaSSy with Scandinavia in mind! NOTE: You will have quite a bit of butter leftover which would be amazing on toast or a bagel; feel free to half the amount of butter if you just want to make what you need for the recipe.
Top Review by Rita~
I made this using 2 tablespoons olive oil because of the healthier fat then butter. I used maple syrup in place of the maple extract and corn syrup, plain walnuts. Delish. I did grill it 5 minutes per side. Made for ZWT6 Thanks.
- 1⁄2 cup softened salted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon maple extract (Mapleine if you are in Sweden)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup (I used a light, lower calorie version and it worked great)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs atlantic salmon, cut into 4 servings
- 8 tablespoons chopped candied walnuts (may sub regular walnuts)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the salmon from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature.
- Cream together first five ingredients with a hand mixer (or food processor) and leave at room temperature.
- Preheat grill to medium (about 350-375 degrees).
- Season with salt and coat with olive oil. Oil the grill. Place the salmon, skin side down, on the clean, preheated grill.
- Cook the salmon for 5 minutes. As the salmon cooks it will turn from translucent orange to pink.
- Turn the salmon over and cook for another 5 minutes.
- NOTE: I cooked mine in the oven in a grill packet for 15 minutes at 350 degrees and it was perfect. I also remove the skin prior to cooking when I use an oven vs. the grill.
- Remove salmon from the grill and put on individual serving plates (skin side down. .or you can remove the skin before serving).
- Top each piece of salmon with a few dollops of the butter you made (this will melt and become your sauce) and top each with 2 T walnuts.