1/4 Photos of Swedish Maple Salmon
I took a recipe for Swedish Maple Cookies and put a spin on it to create this wonderful sweet topping for grilled salmon; when we were in Sweden, salmon was on every menu, whether it was cured, smoked, baked, poached, or grilled. Being someone who "tolerates" salmon in a house full of those who adore it, I find that I prefer my salmon sweet rather than savory. Recipe developed for ZWT6 Team SSaSSy with Scandinavia in mind! NOTE: You will have quite a bit of butter leftover which would be amazing on toast or a bagel; feel free to half the amount of butter if you just want to make what you need for the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup softened salted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract (Mapleine if you are in Sweden)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup (I used a light, lower calorie version and it worked great)
- 1 1/2 lbs atlantic salmon, cut into 4 servings
- 8 tablespoons chopped candied walnuts (may sub regular walnuts)
- 1Remove the salmon from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature.
- 2Cream together first five ingredients with a hand mixer (or food processor) and leave at room temperature.
- 3Preheat grill to medium (about 350-375 degrees).
- 4Season with salt and coat with olive oil. Oil the grill. Place the salmon, skin side down, on the clean, preheated grill.
- 5Cook the salmon for 5 minutes. As the salmon cooks it will turn from translucent orange to pink.
- 6Turn the salmon over and cook for another 5 minutes.
- 7NOTE: I cooked mine in the oven in a grill packet for 15 minutes at 350 degrees and it was perfect. I also remove the skin prior to cooking when I use an oven vs. the grill.
- 8Remove salmon from the grill and put on individual serving plates (skin side down. .or you can remove the skin before serving).
- 9Top each piece of salmon with a few dollops of the butter you made (this will melt and become your sauce) and top each with 2 T walnuts.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Maple Salmon
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.4
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 149.4 mg
- Sodium 280.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 34.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: