Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Limpa has always been one of my favorite breads, and now I can make it in the bread machine! I use the dough cycle for this, then rise and bake in the oven. Mom always includes the orange rind, but it's not my favorite, so I leave it out. My house tends to be a little cool in the winter, so I use the oven light to proof my dough. If your house is warmer, then rise in whatever manner works for you. Cooking time includes the bread machine cycle time, plus baking time. Prep time includes rising time.
- Place all of the ingredients into your bread machine, following the instructions for you particular model.
- Set the machine for the dough setting, and walk away.
- 30 minutes before the end of the cycle, place a loaf pan or baking sheet in your oven. Turn on the light, and shut the oven door.
- When the dough cycle is done, remove the dough from the machine, and place in the loaf pan, or shape and place on the baking sheet.
- Place the dough in the warm oven, and let rise for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the oven, and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bake the loaf for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and let cook on a rack.
Tremendous bread with lovely exterior and soft interior. I followed this exactly, including the orange rind which went beautifully with the caraway, and fennel seed. Loved the use of brown sugar in this as well! A wonderful loaf of bread that will be made often on this farm! Made for ZWT 6 Zee Zany's June 2010
Excellent loaf of bread. I used bread flour and couldn't find rye flour so I used whole wheat. Also omitted the orange rind. Other than that made as written and made the dough in the bread machine and baked it in a loaf pan. This is now one of my top two bread recipes :) Thanks for posting. Made for SSaSSy's ZWT 6
I wish you all could smell this bread. I made the dough in the bread machine and baked it in a loaf pan. I skipped the orange rind and fennel. This made a perfect loaf of bread with great texture and wonderful taste! I'll put this in my tried and true file because I'm certain I'll make it often. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT 6.