Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a distinct and delicious bread. Boiling the seeds first really mellows their flavor. This has been passed down and around in our community for generations. It's really good!
- Combine first six ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil; boil for approximately 5 minutes.
- Let cool some, then add the salt and cold water.
- Test the temperature, then add the yeast.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the rye flour and as much white flour as needed to make a soft dough.
- Knead well.
- The bread dough will be sticky.
- Let rise until double.
- Shape into 4 loaves (Traditionally in round loaves, but loaf pans work also) and let rise again until double.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.