Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Surprisingly easy to make, this is a family favorite for Christmas mornings. Our church ladies always made this pastry for the St. Lucia service.
- Part 1: Cut butter into flour and add sufficient cold water to form into pie crust, divide into two balls. Flatten each into a 3" wide strip on cookie sheet.
- Part 2: Put water and butter in saucepan, and heat to boiling. Remove from stove and add flour all at once. Stir until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth each time. Add almond extract and spread onto the strips.
- Bake: 425 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Then 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cool and frost.
- Cut into 1" strips for serving.
This recipe was given to me by a friend at work and I've made it many times - big hit with everyone I have made it for. Only difference is I sprinkle slivered almonds over icing. Easy to make but looks complicated. Delicious!