Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A lovely, mild cookie recipe ...posted for ZWT3 (Scandinavia).
Make and share this Swedish Icebox Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour (sifted, all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons powdered cloves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses (either light or dark)
- 5 ounces almonds (whole, blanched)
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In large bowl of electric mixer, cream the butter. Gradually add the sugar and beat well. Add the molasses and beat, scraping the bowl with a spatula, until sooth.
- On lowest speed, gradually add the dry ingredients, continuing to use the spatula as necessary.
- Turn the dough onto a board. Knead slightly, only until smooth. Add the almonds and knead until they are evenly distributed.
- Divide dough in half and shape each half into an oblong. Place each half on a piece of wax paper about 15" long.
- Holding the paper against the dough, smooth each oblong into an even shape about 3" x 1", and about 10" long. Wrap in wax paper. Freeze the dough for 30-45 minutes, or refrigerate it overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice cookies a scan 1/4" thick. Place on unbuttered cookie sheets about 1" apart. Bake 10 minutes, or until cookies become slightly colored and tops are semi-firm. Do not overbake -- these will crisp up as they cool.