Recipe by Roxygirl in Colorado
This classic holiday cookie from Southern Living will melt in your mouth. The extra vanilla amount combines great with the almonds. You can divide the dough and tint in different colors before you shape. They freeze wonderfully, too.
Top Review by katiemjenkins
These cookies are fabulous! Loved them! The only thing I would maybe change is to add a bit of almond extract as someone else stated, since the almond flavor is so mild. These were made as a Christmas gift~ hope they like them as much as I do!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups almonds, ground
- powdered sugar, to dredge cookies
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening and butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add 1 cup powdered sugar and salt and mix well.
- Stir in flour.
- Add water, vanilla, and almonds, stirring well.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls (I use small cookie scoop).
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Press down lightly on dough with bottom of glass or measuring cup.
- Bake at 325° for 12 minutes or until done.
- (Cookies will still be light).
- Dredge warm cookies in powdered sugar.