This is a fantastic cookie recipe that I found in the LCBO Holiday 2003 Food & Drink magazine. I've been making these cookies for a few years now, but I've had a lot of requests for the recipe recently! I hope you enjoy them too!
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses.
- Sift together flour, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and baking soda. Stir into batter. Stir in crystallized ginger. The batter will be thick. Roll into 1-inch (2.5cm) balls. Place granulated sugar on a plate. Dip balls into sugar. Place sugar-side up on cookie sheet about 3 inches (8cm) apart, as the cookies tend to spread when baking. Keep dough refrigerated between batches.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cracked on top, slightly firm to the touch and a golden colour. They will soften and crisp up as they cool. Cool on wire racks.