Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are delicious and soft cookies. I especially like to make them around the holidays, but they are great anytime. I got this recipe from my mother-in-law.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses.
- Add the egg.
- Mix together the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and allspice.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture.
- Mix well.
- Roll into small balls and roll in sugar.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
What a great cookie! I thought they seemed really familiar when I started gathering ingredients - sure enough, they are almost the same as my favorite molasses cookie, but with a bit more spice. I did refrigerate the dough briefly to make it easier to handle, and I baked on parchment paper. These are yummy and beautiful; these will be a Christmas favorite!
You're right - these are delicious cookies. They have a nice balance of sugar and spice. They baked into lovely circles with crinkly, sugary tops. I made 41 cookies and baked them for 10 minutes. Simple, easy, delicious - thanks Lainey6605.