Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A lowfat, high fiber recipe from "Healthy Vegetarian Cookery" by Nicole Oakley
- 225 g stone ground whole wheat flour
- 225 g rye meal or 225 g barley flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 250 -350 ml tepid water
- Blend flours and salt together.
- Mix in sufficient water to bind into a dough- the quantity will depend on the types of flour used.
- Beat until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl, then turn on to a floured board and knead thoroughly.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan over a moderate heat and grease it.
- Divide the dough into four and roll out one quarter into a round as thin as possible.
- Using a plate about 20 cm (8 inch) wide, trim the edges into a neat circle.
- Prick all over to prevent the dough bubbling during cooking.
- Transfer to the griddle or frying pan and cook over a moderate heat for about 15 minutes or until slightly coloured, then turn and cook the other side.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough, working up the trimmings for re-rolling and baking.
- Cool on a wire tray.
Extra crisp, real chewy & healthy! Easy to make, good with soup!