Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A recipe by Jean Anderson for the "From the Governor's Pantry" cookbook, Lind House Association in New Ulm, Minnesota, July 1988. The book is dedicated to the many volunteers who had donated their time, talents and money to restore the John Lind home. This recipe is one of Jean's family's favorite holiday recipes. It comes for her husband's grandma of Swedish descent. Also, she likes to sour her cream and let it stand on the counter for 3 to 4 days before using. She writes, "I think the flavor is better!"
- 4 cups white flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pint sour cream (whipping cream, soured)
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add the sour cream.
- Dough will be really stiff.
- Let stand 1 to 2 hours.
- Roll out on cloth covered board, with lefse rolling pin (very thin and rolled in graham flour).
- Bake on ungreased cookies sheets in 350 degree oven until lightly browned (5 minutes).