Recipe by Bec
Serve the slices of salmon garnished with fresh dill and slices or pieces of salmon skin and with gravlaxsas. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- 4 lbs fresh salmon, center cut
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons white peppercorns, crushed
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons mild mustard
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the backbone and other bones from the salmon and cut in half lengthwise.
- Combine the salt, sugar and pepper and rub over the insides of the fish.
- Place one piece, skin side down, in a large bowl or serving dish.
- Place the dill over the salmon. Top with the other piece of fish, skin side up.
- Place a heavy platter over the salmon and weight it down.
- Refrigerate, covered, for 24 hours. Turn the fish once or twice during this time.
- When finished, remove the salmon from the dish and scrape off the seasonings and dill.
- Cut off skin and slice the salmon diagonally into thin slices.
- Serve salmon.
- For Gravlaxsas: Combine the mustard, sugar and vinegar in a bowl and mix well together to make a paste. Slowly add the oil, beating well after each addition. Beat until the sauce is the consistency of mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper and add the dill. Makes 1/2 cup.