Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cucumber salad goes well with just any kind of meal. In Sweden, strong white distilled vinegar is usually used (12%), which gives the cucumber salad the correct sweet-and-sour flavour and a wonderful fresh and refreshing taste.
- 2 fresh cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon rough ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- Cut cucumbers into the thinnest possible slices.
- Arrange slices in a bowl.
- Whisk together the white distilled vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Pour over the cucumbers.
- Place a plate with a weight over the cucumbers to squeeze out the liquid.
- Chill for 1 hour.
Making with the caraway seeds is what makes this recipe different and Swedish! Loved the mixture of ingredients and will make again. My DH loved this and requested it again soon! If he likes it, then it's a go! Thanks for this one FT!
My Scandanavian family's eaten a simpler version of this for years, but I didn't know it was a Swedish recipe. Very light and delicious.
Loved that the cukes kept their crispness. Plan on having them on a salad tomorrow. After that.....they'll probably be gone! And time to make another bunch! Thnx for posting, Tartie! Made for KcK's Forum Scandinavia Kitchen.