Recipe by LAURIE
Swedish potatoes from a cookbook from my Swedish neighbor, Millie. These are awesome but a heart attack waiting to happen! LOL. In order to have bacon drippings I sometimes fry the bacon crisp and then crumble it over the top of the potatoes as we like the extra crunch on top of the creamy potatoes.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings
- 4 cups cubed raw potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4-1 cup cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- crumbled bacon, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion in 2 tbs bacon fat until soft and a medium frying pan.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining bacon fat and potatoes.
- Fry until golden brown on the outside.
- Stir in the onions.
- Add milk and cook a couple of minutes. Look to see how much of the liquid is absorbed before adding the cream as you want enough to slightly cover the potatoes and enough to cook them.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stir until blended.
- Cover pan.
- Cook very slowly, low heat until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes This will depend on how large your potato cubes are.
- Pour into serving dish and sprinkle with parsley.