Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
These are always on our list of Christmas cookies to bake. Not only do they look pretty, they taste great!
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 -3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- food coloring, of choice
- Mix margarine and flour until crumbly.
- Gradually add half and half.
- Roll out dough and cut with a 1 1/2 inch cutter. (Simple shapes like circles and stars work easiest).
- Dip in granulated sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and mix with the yolk, vanilla, and gradually add in the powdered sugar. You can divide this into separate bowls if you want more than one color of frosting.
- Spread frosting between cooled cookies.
These cookies were amazing! I made them for easter, and word got around and people demanded them!! I followed the recipe exactly, and I agree the dough was sticky, but while mixing, i just mixed with my hand since I found mixing with a fork very difficult. The more you work with the dough the less sticky it becomes, and the outcome is well worth it! I also was confused about dipping in sugar .. but I dipped the cut dough in granulated sugar on both sides and they were amazing! Thanks so much KaDo!!!
These are so Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I forgot about these cookies - my Mom made these cookies with pastel colored icing for baby showers or easter when I was growing up. They are sooooo good! The cookie almost reminds me of a pie crust, light and flaky. Thanks for the recipe from the past - I made them for christmas with red and green icing, and large red, clear and green crystal sugar - they made a terrific addition to my cookie trays! These are a real winner!!!