Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Moist, sweet and delicious! Serve with Breakfast, lunch or supper.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Butter 13x9x2" glass baking dish.
- Beat sugar and butter in large bowl until blended.
- Add eggs and beat until well blended.
- Beat in 2 cups water and cornmeal.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into small bowl.
- Add to cornmeal mixture, stir just until blended.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake until bread is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer dish to rack and cool corn bread slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool bread completely. Cover with foil and store at room temperature).
This cornbread recipe is very similar to one I made 30 years ago for my boys, except I used molasses or syrup instead of sugar. It is delicious, and makes a wonderful breakfast bread. Also good spread with apple butter or blackberry jam...
This is a sweet, moist bread that serves as an excellent complimentary corn-cake side dish served with mexican dishes. Mexican just is not as good without it. I have found it is also good with chicken.
I made this recipe tonight with a few modifications. I halved the recipe and used 2 eggs and then baked it in an 8X8 pan. I only had a metal pan. Don't know if that would make a difference or not, but it was done in my oven after only 22 minutes. It was a little bit drier than I was hoping for, maybe next time I will leave out a bit of the corn meal. But overall I really liked it!