Recipe by Bev
Moist, sweet and delicious! Serve with Breakfast, lunch or supper.
Top Review by Jo Evans
This cornbread recipe is very similar to one I made 30 years ago for my boys, except I used molasses or syrup instead of sugar. It is delicious, and makes a wonderful breakfast bread. Also good spread with apple butter or blackberry jam...
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Butter 13x9x2" glass baking dish.
- Beat sugar and butter in large bowl until blended.
- Add eggs and beat until well blended.
- Beat in 2 cups water and cornmeal.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into small bowl.
- Add to cornmeal mixture, stir just until blended.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake until bread is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer dish to rack and cool corn bread slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool bread completely. Cover with foil and store at room temperature).