Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This recipe was given to us by a neighor while we were living at Brigham Young University. Donuts don't get any better than this! This is time cosuming - however - the end result is worth the wait.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup powdered milk
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 -2 tablespoon hot water, more as needed
- Boil buttermilk until curdled. Cut up 1/2 cup butter and add to buttermilk. Stir to melt butter. Add baking soda. Set aside to cool.
- In large mixing bowl - mix yeast, 1 TBSP sugar and water. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Add buttermilk and eggs. Blend in remaining sugar, salt and dry milk.
- Add flour and mix well. Add up to 1 cup more flour to make a soft, but not sticky dough.
- Let rise to double, about 1 hour.
- Combine filling ingredients. Set aside.
- Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter.
- Roll all the dough out into a rectangle and brush with melted butter.
- Spread filling on half of the dough. Fold the uncovered half over the filling and seal edges.
- Cut into strips, twist two times and place on greased cookie sheets.
- Let rise until double (1 hour approximately.).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- While rolls are baking - mix glaze ingredients.
- Top warm rolls with glaze.
These were great!!! I followed the recipe exactly and they turned out delicious. My family loved them!!! I used chopped pecans for the nuts on half the dough and made the rest without.(Some in my family don't care for nuts.) Thanks, will be making again.
This is definitely not for the cook who has time constraints in the kitchen, but if you want a seriously tasty treat for yourself or your company, this is it! Followed the recipe right on down, using pistachios for the nuts & will definitely make them again before the end of the year! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a recipenap in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #34]