1/3 Photos of Swedish Cinnamon Rolls (Vegan)
2 hrs 10 mins
magpie diner's Note:
These aren't the gooey sickly sort of cinnamon rolls you get at the mall! They're not overly sweet, the sort of thing you would have with tea or coffee in the morning. I came across this "Swedish" version on the blog: http://dieflaschenpost.blogspot.com. I'm not an experienced cinnamon bun baker, this was actually my first attempt. I can see now why they're so popular, because they're quite fun & easy to make. These have a subtle cardamom flavour, which I suppose you could sub with another spice if you choose. The original version didn't include any whole wheat flour...you could adjust to all regular flour if you choose. I tried it with more whole wheat as well as with oil and the results weren't as good. They're very pretty out of the oven, it seems a shame to ice them! Although, took to a school event and did ice them with a simple frosting to please the masses. :) Prep time includes the approximate rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup soymilk
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or sub honey or agave nectar)
- 2 tablespoons soy yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 1/4 cup sugar (I use organic evaporated cane juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance margarine, cold (cut into small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance margarine, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- soymilk (to brush on top)
- sugar (to sprinkle on top)
- 1Warm the soy milk slightly - too hot will kill the yeast, too cool won't activate it -- just about lukewarm is right. In a small bowl stir together the soy milk, the yeast and the teaspoon of sugar. Set aside to let the yeast do it's thing.
- 2Add the next 7 ingredients (yogurt to 1/4 cup margarine) to a larger bowl and then add in the yeast mixture. Knead for about 10 minutes until a nice soft dough has formed. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about half an hour, until doubled in size.
- 3Mix the 2 tbsp margarine, 2 tbsp sugar and cinnamon together in another small bowl and set aside.
- 4Place 12 muffin liners on a baking sheet. Roll the dough into about a 10" x 12" rectangle - as close to square as you can get it.
- 5Spread the cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the dough and then roll it up (roll from the longest side). Cut into 1" slices and place each slice in a muffin liner. Cover again and let rise for another hour, should be doubled in size.
- 6Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush the tops of the rolls with soy milk and sprinkle with a touch of sugar. Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Cinnamon Rolls (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (571 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.6
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 105.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Earth Balance margarine
Earth Balance margarine