Prep 3 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Lovely, simple cookies spiced with cardamom, vanilla, and lemon zest. posted for Zaar World Tour. Instead of the sanding sugar you can just add some food coloring to regular sugar and stir in in until well mixed.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- colored crystal sugar or chopped toasted pecans
- Whisk the flour, cardamom, and salt in a bowl.
- Put the butter and confectioners' sugar in a food processor, and process until smooth.
- Pulse in the egg, vanilla, and lemon zest until combined. Add the flour mixture and process to make a soft buttery dough.
- Divide dough in half onto 2 (12-inch long) sheets of plastic wrap, using the plastic, shape into rough logs.
- Refrigerate the dough logs for 30 minutes until just firm enough to shape into uniform logs, 8-inches long by 2-inches in diameter. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Scatter either the sanding sugars or toasted nuts on a work surface and roll the logs until completely coated.
- Cut into 1/4-inch thick cookies and space about 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until golden around the edges, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool cookies on the pan on wire racks. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Lovely, simple cookie. Great lemony flavor,and fine texture make these a treat to savor. I liked the simplicity of the recipe too.
Awesome cookie Leah. Loved the strong cardamom flavor in the cookie, it was lovely with the lemon rind. I used ground hazelnuts instead of pecans, it was what I had on hand. Garnished the cookies with a simple glaze and dusted with more of the ground hazelnuts. I will definitely be making these again often, they were quick and very easy to make. Thanks for sharing your recipe, it made my christmas tins and trays more special.