Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Found this on the Oregon Live website. I enjoyed serving it as a part of a Swedish themed Christmas dinner buffet.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Add the sugar and stir until it melts.
- Add the cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, for two minutes.
- Add the vinegar, water, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Lower the heat and cook, covered, until the cabbage is tender, about two hours. Stir the cabbage occasionally while cooking; if the pan seems dry, add a tablespoon or two of water to prevent burning.
- Stir the apples and jelly into the cabbage. Simmer the cabbage, covered, for another hour, until the apples are tender and the flavors meld.
- The cabbage can be made up to two days ahead (and tastes even better this way), kept covered in the refrigerator. Reheat the cabbage in a saucepan, covered, over moderately low heat. Taste a piece of cabbage and add more salt, pepper, sugar or vinegar to your taste.