Recipe by Olha
The name "mazarin" indicates that an almond filling is part of the pastry. Very tasty!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1⁄3 cup softened butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup blanched almond, finely chopped
- 1 cup milk chocolate or 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, combine the flour, sugar, egg, and butter. Mix at low speed until mixture is crumbly. Press mixture into a 13 x 9 inch pan, working it up the sides of the pan about 1/2 inch. Bake 20 minutes until pale golden.
- For the filling, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, beating until light and fluffy, cleaning sides of the bowl. Mix in the almonds. Spread filling over the pastry and bake another 10 minutes until filling is set. Remove from oven and cool.
- Put the chocolate chips into a small, heavy duty plastic bag with zip type closure. Place in a bowl of hot tap water until chips are melted. Knead bag to be sure chips are completely melted. Wipe bag dry with paper toweling. With scissors, cut a small opening across one of the bottom corners of the bag. Squeeze out a thin stream of chocolate, crisscrossing the top of the bars.
- Makes 48 bars, about 1 x 2 inches.
- The Great Scandinavian Baking Book B. Ojakangas.