Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
These cookies are light, buttery and aromatic. Wonderful with a cup of tea.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind or 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- colored crystal sugar or chopped toasted pecans
- Place the butter and icing sugar in a food processor, and process until smooth.
- Pulse in the egg, vanilla, cardamom and zest until combined.
- Add the flour and process to make a soft dough.
- Divide dough in half,place onto two (12- inch long) sheets of plastic wrap, using the plastic, shape into 8-inches long by 2-inches in diameter logs.
- Refrigerate the dough logs for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Scatter either the coloured sugars or toasted nuts on a work surface and roll the logs until completely coated.
- Cut into 1/4-inch thick cookies and space about 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until golden around the edges, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool cookies on the pan. Remove to airtight container.
Excellent cookies! The dough comes together nicely and is very easy to work with. Great taste and texture. These smell amazing while baking. I used the orange zest and colored sugar. Will make again for sure, thank you for sharing.
Delicate, crispy little cookies full of flavor and easy to prepare! I rolled half the batch in ground almonds and the other half in dyed sugar and opted for the orange zest for a bit of color. Cookies baked in about 22 minutes in our oven. Thanks for posting!