Recipe by Hey Jude
Another lovely cardamom recipe, this one is adapted from the fantastic 'The Great Scandinavian Baking Book' by Beatrice Ojakangas. You can buy cardamom already ground but I prefer grinding it myself in a mortar and pestle, it's much tastier.
Top Review by qjohnson
HeyJude speaks the truth: grind your own cardamom. I used some preground that was lingering in the cupboard, and everything about the cake was great...except that the flavour was flat. I was so mad at myself for taking the lazy route. Next time I'm going to do it properly! Thanks for sharing.
- 10 vanilla wafer cookies, crushed into crumbs
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-inch tube or bundt pan with butter; dust with cookie crumbs, set aside.
- Combine flour and baking soda in a small bowl; set aside.
- Mix sugar and butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes; add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition, about 5 minutes total.
- Beat in cardamom and cinnamon; add flour mixture; beat until just combined; add sour cream, beat until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes; turn out on a wire rack; cool completely.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.