1/5 Photos of Swedish Cardamom Braid
3 hrs 5 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
From Bernard Clayton's Complete Book of Breads, posted for ZWT 3, Scandinavia.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a mixing bowl, measure 1 cup flour and add the dry ingredients.
- 2Blend with a wooden spoon. pour in the hot water and stir with 25 strong strokes, or for 2 minutes with the mixer flat beater.
- 3Cut the soft butter into several pieces and drop into the batterlike dough.
- 4Add the egg, cardamom and raisins.
- 5Stir in additional flour, 1/4 cup at a time, first with the spoon and then by hand, or with the beater and then the dough hook.
- 6The dough will form a rough mass and clean the sides of the bowl.
- 7Because of the large amount of butter, the dough will not be sticky. It should be firm, but not stiff.
- 8Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface. With a strong push turn fold action, knead till the dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes, or knead with the mixer under the dough hook for the same length of time.
- 9Return the dough to the bowl; cover with plastic wrap and put aside at room temperature till the dough has doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- 10Punch down the dough and turn it onto a floured surface; knead briefly to work out air bubbles.
- 11Divide the dough into 3 equal parts. Roll each part under your palms into a strand 14 inches long.
- 12Beginning in the middle of the strands, braid loosely to one end. Reverse the loaf and again braid from middle to end.
- 13Pinch the ends closed and place on a baking sheet.
- 14Cover the dough with wax paper and leave till doubled in bulk and puffy to the touch, about 1 hour.
- 15Preheat oven to 350°F 20 minutes before baking.
- 16Before baking, brush the braid with the egg white glaze.
- 17Bake till the crust is rich brown, about 45 minutes.
- 18A wooden toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- 19Remove braid from the oven. Use a metal spatula to lift it off the baking sheet, because the hot loaf will be fragile and might break.
- 20Cool on a wire rack.
- 21This bread keeps well and toasts beautifully and also freezes well.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Cardamom Braid
Serving Size: 1 (911 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3247.4
- Calories from Fat 1329
- Total Fat 147.7 g
- Saturated Fat 89.8 g
- Cholesterol 583.5 mg
- Sodium 2447.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 419.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.9 g
- Sugars 121.0 g
- Protein 65.3 g