1 hr 30 mins
André Grisell's Note:
A classic Swedish dish. This is the recipe from the late Tore Wretman (1918-2003), the actual inventer of Swedish gastronomy. According to him, it's his grandma's recipe, and the source is his memoires "Mat och Minnen", Bra Bockers Forlag, 1987. Since Tore always was asked, at every occasion, what his favorite dish was, he decided to always answer "kaldolmar", which - with his own words - was as close to the truth as one could get!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium white cabbage or 1 medium preferably savoy cabbage, as fresh as possible
- 6 ounces ground beef
- 6 ounces ground pork
- nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 cup milk (for the meat)
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup round-grain rice (e.g Avorio)
- 1/2 cup milk (for the rice)
- white pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons light syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups beef stock (or sauce)
- 1Remove the stem from the cabbage and poach the head in boiling salted water for a few minutes.
- 2Separate the outer leaves and remove any coarse stalks.
- 3Let cool.
- 4Rinse the rice and boil soft in the milk for about 20 minutes.
- 5Let cool.
- 6Finely chop the onion and sautée in the butter until transparent.
- 7Let cool.
- 8Mix meat, eggs, onion, milk, spices and rice.
- 9Put about two ounces of the mixture on each cabbage leaf and roll to small dolmas (rolls).
- 10Place them on a greased tray.
- 11Put the sugar or syrup on top together with a little melted butter.
- 12Bake in the oven at 175 degrees C/ 350 F for about 30 minutes; add the gravy or sauce, raise the heat a little and bake for another 20-30 minutes.
- 13Serve the rolls with boiled or mashed potatoes (maybe enriched with cream and butter) and Farmors Gurka ("Grandma'sCucumber"): Thinly sliced cucumber marinated in strong vinegar, sugar, salt and parsley.
- 14(Personally, I'm not very fond of the sugar/syrup in the recipe, so I use to exclude it, but that's only because I'm against sweet ingredients in main courses in general).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish cabbage rolls (kaldolmar)
Serving Size: 1 (574 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 499.0
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 184.0 mg
- Sodium 681.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 25.7 g