Recipe by VickyJ
I have grown up eating this. My aunt makes it all the time, and it was grandpa's favorite meal!
Top Review by mianbao
Vicky, these are just wonderful! I followed the recipe, including ingredients, amounts and procedures. (Well, I only basted once, but that seemed okay.) I had a little leftover cabbage, so I chopped it up, sauteed it, and added it to the baking dish. I wondered about the allspice, but it's just exactly right. This does make a lot, but I'm planning to freeze some without the gravy, and enjoy them at later meals. Thank you so much for posting this delicious recipe.
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1 cold cooked potato, grated
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter (or more)
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash cabbage and remove any damaged outer leaves, cut out core.
- Bring a large pot of water to boiling.
- Add cabbage to wilt leaves while preparing stuffing.
- Turn off heat under cabbage, mix together potato, rice, meats, onion, the 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, allspice, sugar, and egg.
- Separate leaves from cabbage as they wilt and drain:.
- Return cabbage to water to wilt inner leaves.
- Shape stuffing into oblong patties and place on core end of cabbage leaf.
- Fold over sides of leaf slightly and roll up, tucking in sides of leaf if possible.
- It may be necessary to fasten rolls with toothpicks, if used, they should be removed before placing rolls in baking dish.
- Mix 3 tablespoons flour and the 1/4 teaspoon salt and roll cabbage leaves in mixture; brown in large skillet.
- Remove cabbage rolls as they are browned and place in a large, flat, greased baking dish.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Heat over to 300 degrees.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours basting frequently with the 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Remove baking dish from oven and place cabbage rolls on a warm platter.
- Mix the 1 tablespoon flour and cream in a small pan.
- Add the liquid from baking dish: Cook and stir over moderately low heat until thickened.
- Season to taste.
- Pour gravy over cabbage rolls before serving.