Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
A recipe from my mother's friend. We always make extra to freeze.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Minute Rice
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Boil cabbage until softened.
- Remove from pot.
- Using oven mitts, peel leaves off.
- Mix beef, rice, salt/pepper, egg and milk and onions in bowl.
- Fill cabbage leaves with mixture and roll up.
- Place cabbage rolls in a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Mix ingredients of sauce together and pour over cabbage rolls.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour.
I used a ground soy meatless instead of the ground beef in the filling (for health reasons) and the filling turned out fine! I noticed there was no amount given for cabbage in the recipe and I had to guess. I ended up with way more filling at the end after preparing enough rolls for 6 people. I will say I think the tomato paste in the sauce must be a mis-print because the sauce ended up thick and pasty and tasted just like...tomato paste, and didn't pour over the rolls like a sauce at all. If I make this recipe again I certainly would try using tomato "sauce" instead, and seasoning with something, perhaps some paprika to start. Overall, a good recipe, if the sauce can be worked out. I have the extra filling in the freezer, ready to use in some green peppers topped with cheese. :)
We liked the basic recipe, but I added some chili powder and cumin to the meat for a bit more southwestern flavor.
Sorry, real Swedish cabbage rolls (k?ldolmar) isn't served with a tomato based sauce.