Recipe by littleturtle
Chocolate chips or maple and pecans nestled in a butter cookie made the Swedish way.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (for Swedish Butter Strips) or 3⁄4 teaspoon maple flavoring (for maple pecan squares)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F (360° at high altitude).
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, and salt; blend in remaining ingredients.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts, and shape into 12" rolls.
- Place 3" apart on ungreased cookie sheets, and flatten with a floured fork to 1/4" high.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until delicately browned (golden) at the edges.
- Cool for a few minutes and cut with a sharp knife into 1" diagonals.