Recipe by Wildflour
I absolutely love these!!!!! Makes a very nice presentation for company, too! Yet very easy to make! :)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs veal cutlets (8 thin)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices boiled ham (thin slices)
- 8 slices swiss cheese (thin slices)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup beef bouillon or 1⁄2 cup beef broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream or 1⁄4 cup whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- If your cutlets aren't thin and pre-pounded, pound them to be very thin and about 4x8".
- Mix flour, salt and pepper and dredge both sides of each cutlet.
- Place a slice of ham and cheese on each piece of meat.
- Roll up and secure with string or toothpicks. (String seems to work better for me.).
- Heat oil in heavy-bottomed skillet.
- Add meat rolls and brown quickly in hot oil on all sides.
- Add bouillon and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer til meat is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove veal birds from pan to a platter. Remove strings or toothpicks, and cover loosely with foil. (Just to keep hot.).
- Add cream to pan and heat over low heat, cooking and stirring for 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- *Don't add too much salt if your ham and cheese is very salty.
- Pour gravy over veal birds and serve.
- This is traditionally served with lingonberries, creamed potatoes and salad.