Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love my BluBurgers. 2 pattys of good ground beef sandwiching Blue cheese then grilled. There was this great flash in my brain,, Meatballs. Yes, but what sort? We want to keep the richness of the blue and extend it a bit to go with noodles or smashed potatoes. This is what I ended up with, not a five but a good solid three or four that I'll make again.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs 15% ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs (I was out and had to use cracker crumbs for the test)
- 1 medium onion, chopped or grated
- 1 medium egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (It's gotta be fresh grated)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- cubes blue cheese, about 3/8 inch sq,one per meatball
- butter, and oil to brown
- 1 can low sodium beef broth
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- more fresh ground pepper
- Mix the ingredients down to the Blue cheese in a bowl and chill a bit.
- Make balls of the mix about the size of an oversized golf ball, I got 13.
- Poke a hole and insert a chunk of blue in each ball.
- Mold tight we don't want leaks.
- Brown the balls in a bit of butter and oil over med high heat.
- Remove the balls to a plate and pour off most of the oil/ butter.
- De glaze the pan with the beef broth.
- Whisk in the sour cream and parsley.
- When the pan's bubbling and thickened slightly, return the balls.
- Grind in more black pepper to suit.
- Have this with noodles or smashed potatoes.