Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
An absolute "must" as an accompaniment to the Swedish Smorgasbord, this salad is very easy to make and is delicious with cold meats, fish, potatoes and open sandwiches.
- 250 g pickled beets, cubed
- 2 pickled gherkins, cut into small pieces
- 1 apple, peeled cored and cubed
- 1 -2 teaspoon grated horseradish root
- 200 g sour cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- Mix all the chopped vegetables and fruit together - making sure that they are cut into a similar size.
- Stir the grated horseradish into the sour cream - bit by bit, checking for taste after each addition.
- Then add the chopped vegetables and fruit to the horseradish and sour cream mixture.
- Put into an attractive serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped dill.
- Serve with the Smorgasbord, or with cold cuts, quiches and pickled fish. Also wonderful to take on a picnic.
Delish!! I am fast becoming a beet fan. I also had to use the bottled horseradish, as that is what was in the house tho I am sure it is much better with the fresh. I used a large Granny Smith apple. Next time I may try adding some chopped red onion. Thanks for posting French Tart. Made for ZWT 6.
We all enjoyed this dish, especially Our family members born in Russia. Because of its delightful color, I served this as a side dish on Christmas Day. However, I added more apples, beets and pickles because I found the sour cream to be overwhelming. Next time I think I will add a little onion and some pecans.
You never know who the star of the show is going to be, but thos little salad was hands down the favourite of 5 I made for a BBQ last night. I set up all the food on a serving table, but someone got up and brought this salad to the table beside them and would hardley share with the rest. All the ladies present asked for the recipe and all the men ooohed and ahhed over it too. I used 3 teaspoons of a bought horseradish (but it contained 99% horseradish) otherwise made the recipe as stated. I think this will get made at every BBQ we have for a while to come!