Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great way to do potatoes. Excellent presentation. Goes well with any dish, meat or poultry
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter, melted
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed (mixed with the butter)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 ounces parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- Cut the potatoes into thin slices 3/4 way through, leaving a small uncut portion of the potato (fan like).
- Put half of the butter and garlic in an oven proof dish and place the potatoes in the dish.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Drizzle with remaining butter and garlic.
- Bake in 375°F oven (takes about and hour depending on the size of the potato).
- Baste occasionally with the butter in the dish.
- After 30 minutes sprinkle with the cheese and bread crumbs- do not baste after putting on the cheese and crumbs.
- Finish baking until potatoes are done and golden.
I'm re-reviewing these tonight. They were great. I omitted the cheese and just used the breadcrumbs (lots of cheese in 2 other dishes) they worked better this time than last and really were delicious. Still loved the garlic in them Bergy and now problems with the topping this time although I didn't use the cheese. Here's the original 4 star review....These were good, but most of the topping ended up on the bottom of the dish. Next time, I will omit the breadcrumbs, so there is a stronger parmesan flavour from what does stay on the top of the spud. I make these occasionally, but have never put garlic in them before-loved that! Thanks Bergy for another useful recipe.
Based on Jan S's recommendation, I omitted the breadcrumbs. The potatoes were good, but for some reason they tasted so much more flavorful the second day reheated in the microwave. They were a great complement to sausage and sauerkraut!
Not the best potato recipe I ever had but was good. 4 Stars for me.