Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a "no crust" apple pie that my mom used to make. It is great served alone or with vanilla ice cream. This is a "must" for our family at holiday gatherings.
- 4 -5 medium apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar (divided)
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Fill pie pan 3/4 full with apples.
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar and 3 tsp cinnamon.
- Sprinkle over apples.
- In saucepan, melt butter and remove from heat.
- Add remaining ingredients (including the 1 cup of sugar remaining).
- Pour evenly over the apples in pan.
- Bake 45 minutes.
This was the best apple pie I have ever tasted and the easiest to make! The self made crust was so tasty!
This smells delicious while baking and tastes really good. I made it gluten free by using a rice flour mix (white rice flour & half the amount of tapioca starch, no gum) I used granny smith apples, dark brown sugar on top of the apples and white sugar in the crust, I reduced both by about half along with the butter like another reviewer on this one> Recipe #263371. Doing that made the batter unable to be poured, but I spooned it on top and it worked out fine. I would make this again and would like to try with more butter than I did but keep the sugar at about half.
This was beyond excellent! From the first taste, my hubby was hooked, and that's saying a LOT about my apple pie "connoiseur", lol! But we gobbled it up so fast, we couldn't get over how yummy it was. Hubby told me to use half brown suger and half granulated suger, which made an almost caramel-like sauce after it was baked. Yum! Will make this over and over again...