Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Found in the December/January 1996 issue of Taste of Home, submitted by Geraldine Grisdale.
Make and share this Swedish Anise Twists recipe from Food.com.
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
- Melt butter and add mixing bowl with milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 eggs, salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed aniseed, and 3 cups flour, and beat until smooth.
- Add enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl and turn once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and roll into a 16 inch by 9 inch rectangle.
- Cut rectangle into 3 16 inch by 3 inch pieces.
- Cut each piece into 16 3 inch by 1 inch strips.
- Twist each strip and place 1 1/2 inches apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Combine 1 egg, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoons crushed aniseed and brush over twists.
- Bake at 375 F until browned, about 12-15 minutes.