Recipe by Rita~
Sweating onions is done to accomplish for several purposes. Sweating gently cooks the onion to soften its texture, increase its sweetness and to reduce the sulfur content, which gives it a milder taste. Sweating onions for dishes, such as risottos, rice pilafs and braised meats is where the flavor begins. The sweat onions give a natural sweetness to dishes. See the instructions below for sweating onions.
- 1 onion (sliced, diced or rings)
- oil (enough just to cover bottom of pan)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat pan over low heat add oil to heat.
- Add onions and cover to keep onions moist.
- Remove cover and stir occasionally.
- Do not allow onions to brown.
- Cook until the onions are translucent and soft but have not started to brown about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt pepper and herbs if you desire and proceed with the recipe that calls for sweating onions.