1/4 Photos of Swai Filets - Greek Basil, Garlic Parmesan
Swai is a relatively new fish in the meat counters of my area of the country. While shopping at Sam’s, I saw the bags of frozen Swai fillets and they looked so good that I decided to buy them even though I did not know what the heck a Swai was. I think that what appealed the most to me was the price; $3.99 per pound, wow! So, I brought it home and Googled it. Swai is apparently similar in behavior to the catfish. It comes from the Mekong Delta and other areas of Southeast Asia (Thailand, Laos and Vietnam). It is considered a white fish and it is sweet, mild in taste and nice and flaky. Since I had a whole bag of the fillets, I decided to experiment a bit and cooked them different ways. I fried it, baked it, grilled it, etc. It turned out great every way I tried it. However, my favorite experiment is as follows below.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces swai fillets (2 Filets. Some are larger, some are smaller)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh greek basil (or sweet basil if you can't find the Greek version)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (one for each filet)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 11) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 22) Mix olive oil, garlic powder and basil in a small bowl.
- 33) Place filets into a greased baking pan long enough to hold a fully-flattened filet. (I use olive oil cooking spray).
- 44) Sprinkle lemon juice over the filets and let them stand for 10 minutes.
- 55) Brush olive oil/spice mixture over one side, flip and brush the other side.
- 66) Sprinkle Parmesan over the fillets.
- 77) Bake for 15 minutes (times may vary according to your oven’s performance). Usually, if the meat flakes easily with a fork, it's pretty much done.
Browse Our Top Freshwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Freshwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swai Filets - Greek Basil, Garlic Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.8
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 97.9 mg
- Sodium 244.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 28.1 g