Recipe by puppitypup
Posted for ZWT. I haven't made it yet so the yield and time are a guesstimate. Soaking time on peas not included. Be sure to wear gloves when working with the hot pepper. Be careful changing the servings on this recipe, it might get confusing since I had to refer to specific amounts in the directions :)
Top Review by mersaydees
Made as directed. This recipe did not work for me, although I am a huge fan of black-eyed peas and coconut milk. It's possible I did something wrong while attempting to get recipe #220077 working! It's also possible I'd make this again after someone else gives it a try. Sorry, Puppitypup! :( Made for ZWT4.
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas or 1 lb pigeon peas
- water, to cover peas
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup water (or more)
- oil, for saute (preferably coconut oil)
- 1 -2 onion, chopped
- 1 hot green chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, soak and rinse the peas per package instructions.
- In a large pot, combine peas and just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the peas begin to become tender and most of the water is absorbed.
- Stir in 1/4 c coconut milk and 1/2 c water. Continue to simmer over low heat, adding additional water as needed to prevent the peas from becoming dry.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in separate skillet, add curry powder and stir for a minute. Fry the onion and chile pepper until tender.
- Add the onion and chile mixture to the peas and continue to simmer until peas are tender enough to eat.
- Add the remaining coconut milk and water, cover and turn to simmer. Cook 5-10 minutes longer, stirring occassionaly. Season to taste, serve with rice or Chapati (unleavened bread).