Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good use for leftover chicken or turkey. Can also sub canned chicken in this. The sauce has a bit of a kick from the chipotles. Use more or less to your taste.
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice (about 1 cup uncooked)
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 3⁄4 cup salsa (your favorite)
- 1⁄2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel (frozen is fine)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (or cheddar)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile in adobo
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13" pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix together sauce ingredients and refrigerate until needed.
- Wash bell peppers. Cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place peppers in a microwaveable dish and add about 1/4" of water. Microwave for about 3 minutes or until they just start to soften. Remove from microwave & pat dry with paper towels. Place in prepared 13 x 9 pan. Set aside.
- To make filling:.
- mix together the cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, rice, chicken, salsa, black beans, corn, onions and cheese.
- Fill the peppers, mounding the stuffing slightly.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes or until filling is hot and the peppers are tender.
- Drizzle with the sauce and serve.
My husband and I altered this a little and it tasted great. Instead of brown rice we used bulgar wheat. We replaced the garlic powder and salt with a 1/2 tsp. of adobo seasoning. We also replaced the sour cream with low-fat plain yogurt, and just used a small sprinkle of cheese. To give the peppers a roasted flavor, we skipped the microwave and put them right on the gas burner until the skins just turn black. We served it all on a bed of spinach. This will be one we make again!