Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sifted flour (, all-purpose)
- 2 cups boiled potatoes, , riced
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 12 -15 plums
- 1⁄4 cup cinnamon sugar
- Cream 2 tablespoons butter, beat in eggs and salt.
- Gradually beat in flour and riced potatoes.
- Dough should be stiff to knead thoroughly.
- On floured board roll out dough to 1/4-in thickness, then cut 3-inch squares.
- Lay 1 plum on each square, sprinkle with little cinnamon sugar and fold edges over plum.
- Shape with hands into a ball.
- The wall of dough should be very thin.
- Drop dumplings into boiling salted water, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Brown bread crumbs in 1/3 cup hot butter.
- Roll dumplings in buttered bread crumbs, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
my czech mom in law makes this she says you brown the butter and then add cinnamon brown sugar and cottage cheese im glad that there are other czech recipes than mine since its hard getting the recipes from libbie lol and rudy misses czech food
I have not tried this recipe but it is just about the way my family makes the dumpling up to the point of dressing it. We top the dumpling with cottage cheese (drained), brown sugar, melted butter and the browned bread crumbs.
Haven't tried this particular recipe, but... We have always cooked up dumplings, put them in a bowl (plain). Then... here's the amazing part... poured melted butter over top, buttered breadcrumbs and then icing sugar. Absolutely tons of each. We have it once a year and that's it - usually at the end of August. Yikes!!! Coming back to this recipe... looks pretty much the same as ours which came from my granparents (he was the head of the Czech railways) and now my Canadian wife does them just as well if not better.