Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Feel free to substitute ground cardamom if you can't find cardamom seeds. From the Minnesota Scandinavian chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 compressed yeast cake
- 1⁄4 cup water, lukewarm
- 7⁄8 cup sugar
- 6 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 15 cardamom seeds
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Heat milk to scalding and let cool to lukewarm (80F).
- Soften yeast in lukewarm water.
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar and when dissolved, add to milk with three cups flour.
- Beat well and set aside to rise until doubled in bulk.
- Remove cardomom from seeds and grind very fine.
- Cream shortening and remaining 3/4 cup sugar until light.
- Add ground cardamom seeds and mix with sponge.
- Sift remaining flour with salt; add to sponge and knead into a smooth and elastic dough.
- Cover and let rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down and shape into rolls or loaves and place on a lightly greased pan.
- Let rise in a warm place until double in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- While dough is rising, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake 35 minutes.