- 2 1⁄2 cups apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom (my addition)
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan with butter.
- Pie: Place the sliced apples in the pie pan. Sprinkle with the cinnamon, cardamom and 1 teaspoon sugar. Toss to coat.
- Topping: In medium bowl, mix together 1 cup sugar with the melted butter. Stir in the nuts, flour, egg and salt. Mix well.
- Spoon then spread mixture over the apples.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until golden brown.