Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a Swedish cookbook of mine. Makes 4 or 8 servings.
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms or 2 (3 ounce) cans mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄3 cup cream or 1⁄3 cup milk
- 8 medium firm tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- Wash mushrooms and chop fine.
- Melt butter and saute the mushrooms with the onion for 5 minutes.
- Blend in flour, salt and pepper; stir in cream, cover and simmer slow for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Wash tomatoes and cut off top slice; scoop out center. Sprinkle inside with salt and pepper; fill with creamed mushrooms.
- Place tomatoes in buttered shallow casserole. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.