Recipe by JanetSmith154
From our friends in New Orleans - the birthplace of TRUE american cuisine :)
Top Review by dna414
I made this for a New Years brunch at a friends house who happens to be vegetarian. I made a vegetarian version by subbing Smart Bacon, bacon substitute for the bacon. I used canned whole peeled plum tomatoes that I chopped up instead of fresh because you can't buy a decent tomato in NY in Jan. I followed the rest of the recipe and it turned out fantastic. I served it over white rice and it was a big hit. I can't wait to try it with bacon.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups green peppers, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a large soup pot until crisp, remove.
- Add celery, green pepper, and onion in bacon grease for about 5 minutes, till soft - add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add bacon back to pot, and add tomatoes, peas, and RoTel.
- Season to taste with spices and cook on low for at least 45 minutes.
- Correct seasonings if desired.
- Serve hot over cornbread or rice.