Recipe by *Parsley*
I forgot that I had this recipe until someone asked about it. Shaped and tastes like the Suzy-Q snack cakes (made by Hostess)!
Top Review by cakeluvr
This is a good recipie - tastes great - yet not too sweet.<br/>I beat the crisco and sugars together for a LONG time in the Kitchenaid, then when I combined the sugar/crisco mixture with the flour/milk mixture I again let it mix for a Long time (probably 10 min) in the Kitchenaid. I think that helped a lot.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces devil's food cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, clear is best
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs until smooth.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13" x 9" pan and bake according to the package directions.
- When cake is cooled, remove from pan to flat surface and cut cake in half horizontally.
- To prepare filling, cook flour and milk in a saucepan over low heat until thickened; whisking often. Cool mixture COMPLETELY in refrigerator.
- While heated mixture cools, beat together sugar, Crisco, salt and vanilla. Add to cooled flour/milk mixture and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread filling on 1 half of cake. Place other half of cake on top and sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.