Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I found this recipe in a cookbook I took out from the Library (have forgotten title). It looks really good. The author suggests if you have a large crock pot, to keep the steak in one piece, but if your crock pot is smaller, cut the steak in half. Haven't tried yet.
- 1 (2 lb) flank steaks
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 small red onions, thinly sliced or 8 green onions, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup port wine or 1⁄4 cup dark beer or 1⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 portabella mushrooms (may add more)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and rub each side with flour. Place in bottom of slow cooker. Lay onions over top and pour in beef broth and port.
- Brush mushrooms with olive oil and lay evenly over meat. Sprinkle with vinegar. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- When ready to serve, transfer steak with mushrooms to a deep platter. Stir in goat cheese, if using and pour gravy over meat.
The meat was very tender, but by omitting the wine and using all broth, we thought it was missing something...BF doesn't like wine. I would add potatoes and carrots next time for an all in one meal.
Ummm, I enjoyed this. I used a whole onion and sauted it first, but other wise made the recipe as called for. I cooked on low for 8 hours. I served over top of rice. I could have easily added triple the mushrooms.
Luscious and rich! We enjoyed every bite and were even looking for more. I used all beef broth and small button mushrooms, plus gorgonzola cheese on top. Set crockpot on high for 5 hours and it was tender perfect. Definitely company worthy. Thanks so much Shannon24!