Recipe by Shannon 24
I found this recipe in a cookbook I took out from the Library (have forgotten title). It looks really good. The author suggests if you have a large crock pot, to keep the steak in one piece, but if your crock pot is smaller, cut the steak in half. Haven't tried yet.
Top Review by *Petunia*
The meat was very tender, but by omitting the wine and using all broth, we thought it was missing something...BF doesn't like wine. I would add potatoes and carrots next time for an all in one meal.
- 1 (2 lb) flank steaks
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 small red onions, thinly sliced or 8 green onions, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup port wine or 1⁄4 cup dark beer or 1⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 portabella mushrooms (may add more)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and rub each side with flour. Place in bottom of slow cooker. Lay onions over top and pour in beef broth and port.
- Brush mushrooms with olive oil and lay evenly over meat. Sprinkle with vinegar. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- When ready to serve, transfer steak with mushrooms to a deep platter. Stir in goat cheese, if using and pour gravy over meat.