Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
I adopted this recipe from the Recipezaar account in February 2005. When I finally had time to try it, I made a few changes to the recipe. I wasn't successful in forming the rice "log" around the veggies as described in the original instructions, and instead just spread the rice over the cream cheese layer and added strips of cucumber and red pepper as I rolled it up. It wasn't exactly sushi form, but it was still pretty and very tasty.
- In medium bowl, combine cooked rice and vinegar, mix well.
- Cover, refrigerate 30 minutes or until cold.
- In small bowl, combine cream cheese and wasabi paste, mix well.
- Place each tortilla on 12-inch square of plastic wrap.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture over each tortilla, spreading to edges.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup cold rice mixture across center of each tortilla, press firmly into strip about 2-inches wide.
- Quarter cucumber lengthwise.
- Reserve 3 sections for another use.
- Remove seeds from cucumber quarter, cut into 3 thin lengthwise strips.
- Press 1 strip into center of each rice strip.
- Cut pepper into thin strips.
- Place next to cucumber to form long red stripe.
- On each tortilla, mound another 1/3 cup rice mixture over cucumber and pepper.
- With wet hands, form rice into firm rolls, completely covering cucumber and pepper.
- Beginning at bottom edge, roll each tortilla firmly around rice.
- Wrap each roll securely in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or until well chilled.
- To serve, trim uneven ends, cut each roll into eight 3/4-inch-thick slices.
I left out the bell pepper and added cooked shrimp. I used the same "roll up" method also. These roll ups packed very well in my lunch and were a welcome change from my normal brown bag fare.