Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Clean Eating magazine
- 1 cup brown rice, short grain
- 1 tablespoon wasabi paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1 cucumber, English, diced
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 8 ounces surimi (fake crab)
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups Baby Spinach
- 4 sheets sushi nori, cut into quarter inch wide strips
- Early in the day pour the brown rice into a bowl and cover with water. Soak for at least 4 hours. This softens the rice and makes for a much nicer texture.
- When ready to prepare the salad, drain the rice. Boil 2 cups of water and stir in the rice. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 30 minutes, or until water is absorbed - or make life easier and use a rice cooker.
- After the rice is cooked, spread it onto a cookie sheet to cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together the wasabi, soy, vinegar and honey. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the cooled rice, cucumber and carrot. Pour the dressing over all and mix to combine. Fold in the surimi.
- Divide the spinach onto 4 plates. Place sushi salad onto each portion. Top with avocado slices and garnish with the nori strips.
This was very good, and even the seafood hater loved it. The wasabi was not overwhelming, and the mixture of flavors and textures was wonderful. This will be in our rotation for hot weather recipes.