Recipe by Vino Girl
From Cooking Light (March 2002).
Top Review by montevinas
The great thing about this recipe is that it is flexible. Add stuff you like (chopped red cabbage is a personal favorite), omit stuff you don't. Do watch the vinegar, it does benefit from sugar. Also I don't use any salt because of a restricted diet. Experiment and enjoy!
- 2 cups uncooked sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated and peeled
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4-3⁄4 teaspoon prepared wasabi
Additional Salad Ingredients
- 1 cup English cucumber, julienned and peeled
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 sheet nori, cut into 2-inch julienne strips (seaweed)
Directions See How It's Made
- RICE: Rinse rice thoroughly in a sieve.
- Drain well.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice and salt.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; uncover and cool to room temperature.
- DRESSING: Combine vinegar and next 6 ingredients (vinegar through wasabi) in a small bowl.
- Combine cooled rice, dressing, cucumber, onion, and sesame seeds in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle evenly with nori.