Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Foolproof way to cook short grain rice; no more burnt pans to clean up! The only special equipment needed is a bamboo steamer and two dish cloths. I've found that soaking the rice for 8+ hours works best.
- Measure out the amount of rice desired into a mesh colander.
- Rinse the rice grains three times with cold water.
- Pour the rice into a bowl and cover it with cold water.
- Cover the bowl and allow the rice to soak for two to eight hours. (The longer the rice soaks, the shorter the steaming time.).
- Take the lid and upper baskets off of the bamboo steamer.
- Line the bottom basket with a clean damp cloth (a dish cloth fits perfectly).
- Drain the rice and pour the grains into the basket on top of the dish cloth. Place another damp dish cloth on top of the grains, folding the corners towards the center.
- Replace the lid on the basket.
- Fill a wok about halfway with water and bring the water to a boil.
- Place the bamboo steamer on the wok; the steamer should not be immersed in the water.
- Steam the rice for about 30 minutes; checking every 10 minutes during the cooking process to ensure that water has not evaporated and that the cloth has not dried out. ( I usually just pour a 1/4 cup of water over the cloth every 10 minutes);.
- Check the rice for doneness after 15 minutes. adding more time if needed, being careful not to overcook.
- Remove rice to a large bowl.
- Slowly heat vinegar, mirin and sugar until very hot but not boiling.
- Fold vinegar mixture into the hot rice, add enough so that the rice has a tart/sweet taste.
- Rice should be shiny, not mushy.
- Carefully clean inside rim of bowl with damp cloth, cover and let rest for 30 minutes before using.