Galley Wench's Note:
Foolproof way to cook short grain rice; no more burnt pans to clean up! The only special equipment needed is a bamboo steamer and two dish cloths. I've found that soaking the rice for 8+ hours works best.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Measure out the amount of rice desired into a mesh colander.
- 2Rinse the rice grains three times with cold water.
- 3Pour the rice into a bowl and cover it with cold water.
- 4Cover the bowl and allow the rice to soak for two to eight hours. (The longer the rice soaks, the shorter the steaming time.).
- 5Take the lid and upper baskets off of the bamboo steamer.
- 6Line the bottom basket with a clean damp cloth (a dish cloth fits perfectly).
- 7Drain the rice and pour the grains into the basket on top of the dish cloth. Place another damp dish cloth on top of the grains, folding the corners towards the center.
- 8Replace the lid on the basket.
- 9Fill a wok about halfway with water and bring the water to a boil.
- 10Place the bamboo steamer on the wok; the steamer should not be immersed in the water.
- 11Steam the rice for about 30 minutes; checking every 10 minutes during the cooking process to ensure that water has not evaporated and that the cloth has not dried out. ( I usually just pour a 1/4 cup of water over the cloth every 10 minutes);.
- 12Check the rice for doneness after 15 minutes. adding more time if needed, being careful not to overcook.
- 13Remove rice to a large bowl.
- 14Slowly heat vinegar, mirin and sugar until very hot but not boiling.
- 15Fold vinegar mixture into the hot rice, add enough so that the rice has a tart/sweet taste.
- 16Rice should be shiny, not mushy.
- 17Carefully clean inside rim of bowl with damp cloth, cover and let rest for 30 minutes before using.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sushi Rice Made in Bamboo Steamer
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.0
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 628.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar